Stop everything. It’s National Grilled Cheese day, and you totally need to make this delicious, spicy grilled cheese sandwich for lunch or dinner. Or breakfast? I’m not judging you.
This sandwich is a tasty and hearty meal. The spiciness of the calabarese is tempered with the juicy tomatoes, basil and creamy cheese. It all works together, and can be put together in a flash using pre sliced Armstrong Monterey Jack with Jalapeño Cheese. I sampled a slice (or two) and this cheese is so tasty with just the right amount of kick. Yum.
- 1 package of Armstrong Monterey Jack with Jalapeño Cheese
- 1 package of fresh basil leaves
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced and Pat dry
- 4 tablespoons of pesto
- 1 loaf of your favourite foccacia (I used Ace Rosemary Foccaccia)
- salted butter
- calabarese salami, 8 slices
1. Butter both slices of bread liberally on one side only.
2. Spread pesto on the other side.
4. Fry calabrese lightly for 1 minute in frying pan. Pat dry.
3. Layer basil, 2 slices of cheese, 2 tomato slices, 2 slices of calaberese and then 2 more slices of cheese.
4. In a frying pan, melt butter and place sandwich in pan for frying. Press down and flip frequently until you see cheese melting.
5. Stop frying when both sides are golden brown and crispy.